Keyword Research Tools
Keyword research is the backbone of successful PPC (Pay-per-click) and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) practices. A keyword is the word or phrase which is closely related to, and is significant to the query in the search engine. Keywords are the channels of explaining and identifying the topic/s on which more information is sought. They serve three main purposes:
- They are the website’s foundation where every topic and page is linked to a keyword or key phrase.
- They enable search engines to understand the purpose of the website.
- Visitors and potential customers get a glimpse of the website content by browsing through the keywords. The keywords are sought after to judge the relevance of the website content to the search made.
Be it broad keywords or short tail keywords, pertinence is the crux of building a successful website. While long tail keywords are specific and redirect based on the same, broad key words ensure high traffic to the website.
Good keyword research never fails to boom the traffic and sales profit of a website. Till recently, Google Adwords was quite popular. Now however, Keyword Planner, the genesis, provides a combination of the Traffic estimator and the original keyword tool. There are a number of keyword research tools, both free and paid, which promise to do just the same: find you the best and most relevant keywords. Listed below are few of the most popular keyword research tools.
- WordStream’s Keywords Tool: A keyword tool for both SEO and PPC which targets certain niches (groups of keywords that are related) and allows you to choose groups based on the same. New users are provided 30 free searches, after which singing up becomes mandatory for continued usage.
- Fresh key: Goes beyond Google instant suggestions and predictions. It gives new keyword ideas, synonyms and variations along with sorting the keywords based on their popularity. By adding small variations at the end of the keyword root including small letter variations like adding a, c, e, b and so on, unlimited keyword options pop up. The keyword results can also be exported onto an excel spread sheet or copied directly to the clipboard.
- Ubersuggest: Give it one keyword and it will immediately give you an endless list of alphabetized and numerical keyword variations of the original keyword.
- Google Keyword planner: The list is incomplete without Google’s keyword planner. You will need an Adwords account to access it, but it is still free to use. Unlike FreshKey and Ubersuggest, it does not give an exact keyword suggestion, but instead it offers more synonyms and variations than most of the other tools. The search is backed up with stats like the average monthly searches, average cost per click, competition levels (high, low or medium) and the likes.
- YouTube Keyword tool: Youtube is the second biggest search engine in the world with a potential to drive thousands of visitors to any site. Smart marketers are already cashing in on YouTube’s powerful capacity to increase their website traffic. By optimizing the video description, flow traffic can be altered.
- Competitor Source code: It is the keyword research tool which allows you to determine the meta keywords used by the competitors to rank organically. It is simple to access this tool. If you use Google chrome as the preferred browser, right click on the page, choose “View Page Source”, and locate the keywords. The flaw of this tool lies in its reliability on the competitors meta key words which may not be the best available key word to begin with or may be completely inaccessible if the competitor hasn’t enabled meta keyword.